This was the third cross at the top of the tabernacle. It was desgined by late Campgrounder Gordon MacGilvray and manufactured by the Philip Shea Co. in Malden, MA. It served for 40 years until it was removed during the restoration of the cupola in 2008
Later, when the sky cleared, we got a hint of what the top of the tabernacle will look like on a clear summer day.
Prior to the erection of the first cross in 1926, the Tabernacle had been topped by a flagstaff and flag which flew over the Tabernacle during the summer campground season.
Tabernacle with flagpole before 1926
Topping the Tabernacle
It was a moving moment as the rain ceased briefly while the 20 foot cross was gently hoisted by a giant crane to the top of the Tabernacle.
Contributions to the restoration fund can be made to MVCMA Tabernacle Restoration Fund, P.O. Box 367, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557. The MVCMA Tabernacle Restoration Fund is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.